If you are having issues with a current product or service then you might try to produce statements such as:
- Only we can deliver product xx within 24 hours
- Only we can produce xx at a cost of less than £5
- Only we have the technology ….
It is then time to use this technique in a different way. You might have already created some new ideas which are still in your head or are just scribbles on a piece of paper. Try the same exercise but using knowledge of your capabilities and resources create statements of the form ‘Only we could …’. This might require some knowledge of your competitors as well so some digging will be required. Once again, if your product or service ideas fail this simple test then perhaps they are not worth pursuing.
All is not lost though. One final exercise is ‘If only …. then we could …’ so you might generate statements of the form:
- If only we had a new machine we could produce xx at a cost of less than £5
- If only we had a new van then we could deliver within 24 hours