Joking aside, what sort of question is this anyway? Does it help, is there likely to be a way forward, can we develop a win-win situation? Much of creative thinking and hence innovation projects are based on subtle questions being asked at the right time. The art of questioning is paramount. Here are some examples of frequently heard, but not always helpful questions together with some suggested alternatives:
- Why do we always do it this way? What sort of things would happen if we did it this (or any other) way?
- Will it work? If it does not work, what is likely to happen?
- How much will it cost? What is the target cost that we need to be aiming for?
- What are we doing this for? The learning opportunities are incredible. Can we explore all of the options and capture the results?
- When can we have a meeting to discuss this? We will start doing some prototyping and let you know our initial results as soon as we have them!
- What would happen if we added banana flavouring? – random stimulus
- What would happen if we did not do this at all? – shift perspective
- All options are open, can we explore as many as possible and record our findings? – motivational
- As we are all here can we try plan b instead of plan a and see what happens? – break mindset with different method plus peer pressure